Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Procrastination... >:|

Of all possible problems, my NUMBER ONE problem with writing is procrastinating! OH MY GOODNESS, you don't even know the half of it! If you know me... I'm not great with deadlines... which isn,t a very good attribute fro a writer! (oops!)

So, I'd try to teach you how to avoid procrastination, but obviously, I wouldn't be very "fit for the job"... but I'll see what I can come up with... maybe I'll even help myself!

If procrastination

Tip #1: Organize your project into several blocks. Divide it up, so you can easily work on small chunks at a time, instead of leaving the while thing for the very last day.

Tip #2: Schedule in time to write AHEAD of time. Plan out how long you're going to write, and what you plan to accomplish in that time slot. Ex:

October 3rd: chapter 3-brainstorming
Goals:

  • general idea of plot
  • introduction to new character
  • "                          " new setting
Etc...

Tip #3: Don't make the job look harder than it is. I have done this a million times! I think it'll take long to write, so I skip it, saying, "I have better things to do" which I don't. The job gets harder the more you perceive it as hard. This sounds weird but it's true. A cool quote I stumbled across: ”Putting off an easy thing makes it hard. Putting off a hard thing makes it impossible.”
George Claude Lorimer


This quote is so true, yet we hate to admit it. 

Tip #4: The first step is always the hardest. Once you start, you can somehow get in the "flow" and keep writing. If you never start, it'll always be more and more unattainable, until you eventually give up. Giving up is not what we want... 

Tip #5: (for this tip, I'll give you the quote right away, seeing as it's perfect for this context) “Do the hard jobs first. The easy jobs will take care of themselves.”
Dale Carnegie



It's sort of self-explanatory, but, if you get your stuff done early, you have time for other things... If you do all the "fun stuff" before getting the job done, you end up forcing the whole job for the last day, which stresses you out, and the quality of your writing could be affected.

I wouldn't want to just paraphrase some online tips... so, visit the site yourselves! (Better advice than my own! ;) Site with better advice than my own ;)

Hope this helps!

-Zemmzemm =)






No comments:

Post a Comment